Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflections on Christmas



This Christmas was a very relaxing, low-key time together. We missed seeing our family across the country but judging from our recent flights with Ellie, we decided this year it was better to stay home. We didn't have much of an agenda except to have a big Christmas dinner on the 23rd with my parents in Montrose. A couple of my dad's co-workers came to enjoy it with us. It was a great time full of wonderful food and a lively game of Balderdash. (in the picture you will notice that Ellie was not present at the table as she was napping- perfect timing, I'd say!)




Christmas Eve day we treated like Christmas day with my parents by opening presents in the morning and hanging out until we came back to Grand Junction that evening. Ellie ripped a few packages open but quickly lost interest when there was an open box in which she could get into.


The big gift of the year was my dad planning a trip and getting my mom time off from work for a 7 day cruise in Hawaii in May. My parents have never really been on a big trip together so I would say that after 34 years of marriage, it is just about time.


This year we are reminded that Christmas calls us to reflect on the fact that we are called to look forward to Christ coming again and making all things new. Sometimes it is really hard to imagine all things being brought back to perfection because this world is so far from that, but I think we get glimpses of what is to come. For me they have come in the laughter of family and friends, the beauty in my daughter's face, freshly fallen snow reflecting the light of the sun, and a beautiful sunset- just to name a few. After all, doesn't creation tell of the glory of it's Creator? What a blessing it is to bear witness to that- a glimpse of the Almighty. I think we get these everyday and we get to choose whether we see them as invitations to worship or just pass them by in the busyness of our daily routine. What if we could see our To Do list everyday as a "blessing list"? After all, isn't everyday a blessing that we have been given and every task that we are able to do also part of that? As I begin 2008, I resolve to intentionally view everyday through this true hope and Joy of Christmas... My prayer is the same for you.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Andrea, I like your comment about seeing our to do lists as blessing lists. Thanks for those thoughts! : )