Friday, March 21, 2008

Craft and Furnace Time!

In light of the beautiful, 60 degree weather that we are experiencing today, I thought I would share a craft project we did (we meaning Graham and I with Ellie playing with wooden beads). We are getting spring fever and are absolutely ecstatic with the hope and promise of warmer days.
In other news, our 28 year-old furnace finally had to be put to rest. In the past couple of weeks it has been overheating, causing a lovely burning odor to come into the house and shutting down. Finally I called a heating company to come out and look at it yesterday. What they found was a huge, gaping hole behind the burners. The flames were not being contained and the heating guy said that it is a house fire waiting to happen and that we have been pumping our house full of carbon monoxide. We do have a carbon monoxide detector in our home but they said that those only go off when there is a level that can be really dangerous. There can still be unsafe levels of carbon monoxide without the alarm going off so I guess it is important to err on the side of caution when it comes to furnaces.

Anyhow, we had to have a new furnace that was installed this morning (we used space heaters last night). A couple hours after the installation, I went into the garage and smelled a strong natural gas smell. Immediately, I called the company and they sent the same guy out who found that there was a crack in our gas hose in the garage. The Lord has really been watching out for us! So all is well at The Shire now; fortunately for us they are giving us a year to pay off the furnace without interest- yet another blessing. We have a lot to be thankful for as we go into this Easter weekend!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Praise the Lord for your safety with all of your furnace problems! God is amazing how sometimes He takes care of us even when we didn't even know we were in danger. : ) He is good and definitely worth praising!!

Those bugs are soooooo cute! Did you have directions or did you just use your creative minds and come up with the idea yourselves? I am pretty sure that when Hannah sees them, she will be wanting to make them. Could you email me any information that would be helpful in making them? Thanks!

And speaking of bugs, that Ellie bug is getting cuter every day!!! She looks so "grown up"! : )

Happy Easter! We love you!