On Friday, we decided to go up to the Grand Mesa to have a snowshoeing adventure with our dear friends, Troy and Jenna. (Jenna was about 4 days past her due date to have their baby) Over the past week it has been super cold here in GJ and Friday it was about 22 degrees here, cloudy and windy. But we decided to get out and enjoy the Colorado outdoors. Now anyone who really knows me also is aware of the fact that I go on snowshoeing trips and other outdoor adventures largely because of how happy it makes my husband. I, on the other hand, would much rather be snuggled up under a nice, warm blanket at home where the conditions are favorable and reliable.
Anyhow, after having a nice, uneventful trip up to the trail head, we got out of the car where it was below zero air temperature, colder wind chill, and blowing snow. Ellie was fine until Graham plopped her into the big pink snowsuit and subsequently into the top of the backpack. So off we went into the beautiful, snowy wild white yonder....a screaming toddler, a concerned mom, determined dad, a very sweet, concerned husband (Troy), and a full term pregnant woman who is just completely ready to have this baby (Jenna). We were quite the group trekking into the forest.
I was feeling alright as far as my temperature was concerned but El, on the other hand, wasn't amused. I attempted to wrap my scarf around the bottom of her face so that the only thing exposed were her eyes. Even that didn't squelch her unhappiness. So about 15 minutes into it, I asked Graham to turn around and I would just sit in the car with her as they ventured off. Back in the car, she calmed down (after another 30 minutes of screaming) and I attempted to entertain her for the next hour. I was exhausted and I am certain that it might be a month or so before Graham can convince me to try it again. The hot chocolate at Powderhorn ski lodge was a nice way to end the trip, if only it had a big swig of Bailey's..ahhhhhh
All in all, it was a fun day to hang out with friends and spend time together. Happy New Year! I'll be posting a Christmas blog soon too so stay tuned...
1 comment:
Andrea!
Hey! Your blog (and your husband's) make me long for a snowshoeing adventure - or at least some time with you guys.
Small world: do you remember a girl named Katie Hill from your volleyball team in college? Well, we met her tonight. We're prayerfully considering a church plant that her and her husband are doing in KC. Just thought it was a small world!
Post a Comment