Monday, January 26, 2009

Life after Pink Eye

Until about 4 years ago, I didn't even know what pink eye was. Graham and I were first introduced to it when we worked at The Little Gym. I remember it clearly...one day I came home from work and noticed that my eyes were itching like crazy. The next morning I awoke to darkness- no Colorado sunlight beaming through the windows to greet me and no visible husband sleeping next to me. Just darkness...and goo- the kind that seals your eyes shut. Never had I experienced this before- not even in my childhood had I ever gotten the dreaded pink eye nor did I know that this was to be the first of many run-in's with the pink eye fairy. I went to the Dr. who prescribed helpful eye goo which was to be put into my eyes 3 times a day.

Now for most people, this probably wouldn't be a big deal. Well, I am not most people. I
become very agitated, cranky and weepy whenever something even gets in my eyes. I am the girl who will stand in front of the mirror, crying, because 'it hurts'. When my wonderful husband (who doesn't have eye issues like me) suggests that we put eye drops in, I have been know to fall on the floor in a heap of pitiful-ness, hard to believe, I know. I still, to this day, have never been able to get an eye drop into my eyes and only recently have I been able (and willing) to put on eye liner. Somehow I was able to get the gel close enough to the eye in order to cure it and being the loving wife that I was at the time, I also passed the pink eye fairy onto my sweet, innocent, eye-drop loving husband.

Now fast forward a few years, G and I ended up keeping the tube of eye goo because we got pink eye at least another time before our time at The Little Gym ended. Last year, at about this same time, El showed the oh-so-familiar signs of having been visited by the fai
ry. We took her to urgent care (it was on the weekend) and they gave her eye drops which cured her. This morning we woke up and as the morning progressed, it was obvious that the pink eye fairy has not forgotten about us yet. Once again we trekked off to the Dr. who prescribed antibiotic eye drops for her. (We are now considering buying stock in the company that produces these drops seeing as how often we seem to need them) Is it bad that I am rationing the drops so that we can have enough when the fairy visits both G and I later this week?!?!

Also, in a completely unrelated story, I was taking a shower this morning while El was watching Angelina Ballerina and had just gotten out of the shower when I heard the most recent word that slipped out of one of her parent's mouths, "stupid". It is amazing to me how when I (or G) said that word, it really didn't faze me. However, when your sweet little 2 year old girl says it, it's just not so nice. I called out to her from the bathroom, "El, what did you ju
st say?" To which she replied, "Peanut, Mommy!" I just had to chuckle to myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure did get a chuckle out of this post.. not the fact that you guys have trouble with the pink eye. I have had my dose of it plenty of times from the airplane, it totally stinks... I did get a laugh how "stupid" turned to "peanut" so fast. Got to watch everything you say. Oh ya one more thing hope thats clean snow El is eating! :) Talk to you guys soon! Amber

Unknown said...

You didn't hear of Pink Eye till four years ago? I wish I was that lucky. ;D

I like reading your posts, so don't forget I'm here!

Anonymous said...

Like grandfather like granddaughter. As a young boy a bad word was shouted at an army man who wouldn't fall down when shot with a rubber band; however, he couldn't come up with another word fast enough like El. She is quick on her feet!!!

Rebecca said...

I am curious if "eye issues" is an official hereditary trait, seeing as though your brother is the same way when it comes to his eyes too. : ) I hope you are all well very soon and that you won't have to use the rationed medicine. : ) Love you!